Monday, April 25, 2011
Monday Random Ten #6
1. Gene Autry/Back in the Saddle Again/The Essential Gene Autry
2. David Byrne/Big Blue Plymouth (Eyes Wide Open)/The Catherine Wheel
3. Eels/Fresh Feeling/Meet the Eels: Essential Eels 1996-2006
4. Funkadelic/Red Hot Mama/Standing on the Verge of Getting It On
5. Spoon/The Ghost of You Lingers/Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
6. George Jones/A Girl I Used To Know/The Best of George Jones
7. The Grass Roots/Lovin' Things/Their 16 Greatest Hits
8. Aaron English/Thin Ice/The Marriage of the Sun and the Moon
9. Ry Cooder/3 Cool Cats/Chavez Ravine
10. Creation Rockers/Four Horsemen/Shatter the Hotel: A Dub Inspired Tribute to Joe Strummer
Sometimes I'm tempted to slightly edit these lists; pick a slightly cooler song from this artist, skip a track from that one, balance it out for diversity's sake. My pledge to you, dear reader is never to do that. Let the great god iPod pick the songs and I'll say what there is to say about it. Random is as random does.
And random brought us a David Byrne solo track that made it into the Talking Heads setlist for the Stop Making Sense tour, still one of the greatest live shows I've ever seen.
Man, do I love me some Eels. I worship eclecticism, and when E goes all over the map, it's a pretty big map. Official site right here.
George Jones is not just one of the greatest country vocalists ever, but one of the finest singers in the whole span of popular music. He hits 80 this fall, but is still recording and touring.
Aaron English calls himself a piano man from Seattle. I'll let him explain.
The Beatles did a great cover of "3 Cool Cats" for their Decca audition tapes. This Ry Cooder version is slower and subtler, with vocals by Little Willie G.
Okay, have a random week, people.
Posted by MZepezauer at 11:10 AM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment